Sunday, July 6, 2008

my little job in town...

I mentioned that I had to get a little part time job to meet ends, and I was reluctant, to say the least. What was I even qualified for? I'd worked as a secretary for a time after high school, but the monotony of that particular job manifested itself into me being chronically late for work. The only other work I had done was in food service and taking care of my kids. I didn't really want to work in a kitchen again. But, I also didn't really want to babysit either. Dilemmas. So, in order for me to be at home, I decided to make up a flier for babysitting. I went that day to the library, put up my flier and came home with the town newsletter. (That's how small my town is. Not a paper, a newsletter.) Josh was flipping through it and saw an ad for the local cafe. Thrusting it at me, he said, "They're looking for a server. Call 'em up." So I called, and low and behold absolutely no one had applied for the job. (There's God's hand again.) I met with the owner, a small lady with a huge grin and an even bigger laugh. (Now, truth be told, I don't like waitressing all that much. I get tongue tied very easily. But, I was willing to give it a shot.) During the course of the interview, the owner explained that their current waitress, who was also plating up the food, would rather just waitress. Eagerly, I said that I would rather plate up food. And my job at The Wild Hare Cafe began. It's laid back for the most part. Everyone is very easy-going, very interesting to talk with. It's not every day a small town, midwestern girl gets to work for a lady who's lived in South Africa. And the hours are perfect. Ten-thirty to three, most days, Tuesday through Saturday. And I enjoy going to work everyday. How many people can say that?